Kaylin Costello’s path to pageant fame

Courtesy

As Miss Historic Crossroads Outstanding Teen, Kaylin Costello will compete in the Miss Mississippi Outstanding Teen Pageant this summer.

Whitney Campbell, Contributing Writer, The Hi-Times

The third time was the charm for Kaylin Costello, who in February was crowned Miss Historic Crossroads Outstanding Teen in her final attempt to qualify for the Miss Mississippi Outstanding Teen Pageant.

“It felt great,” Costello said with a smile. “I was really shocked that I won because I wasn’t very experienced, and there were girls who had been competing longer than I had.”

The 15-year-old, a sophomore at Tupelo High School, started competing in local pageants in January. She was in two pageants before she won her title and the chance to enter in the state pageant in Vicksburg in June.

“Ever since I was little I’ve wanted to be Miss America,” Costello said, referring to the national pageant that originated in Atlantic City. Today, the Miss America Organization also has a companion competition for outstanding teens.

“If I win Miss Mississippi Outstanding Teen, I have to go to Miss America Outstanding Teen and I really want to do that,” Costello said.

On Jan. 23, Costello won the Overall Talent Award in the Miss Tupelo Pageant for her baton twirling routine to the “Glee” version of “Don’t Rain On My Parade.”

She has been twirling baton for 10 years, ever since her older sister, Samantha McMinn, taught her. Costello competes in baton twirling competitions in addition to pageants.

“The main reason I started pageants was so I could do my talent, baton twirling,” said Costello, who also is a member of the Synergy showchoir at THS. “I love performing in front of people.”

But the big titles and popularity aren’t the only things that come out of doing pageants, which Costello said also help prepare teen girls for life beyond high school.

Costello hopes to gain practice for future academic and career-related situations.

“What I hope to get out of doing pageants are social skills,” Costello said. “It definitely prepares you. When you have an interview with the judges and you sit with them and talk, it prepares you for job and college interviews.”

Costello, determined to win, has plenty of friends and family cheering her on as she goes to practices and orientations for the Miss Mississippi Outstanding Teen Pageant. Her best friend, THS sophomore Avery-Claire Littleton, has been supportive and right by Costello’s side through all three of her pageants.

“I have already booked my hotel room for her Vicksburg pageant,” Littleton said. “I plan on going to every single one. I’m really proud of her and I know that she’s going to do great.”