Seniors take on Culmination Projects

The Culmination Project is by far the biggest undertaking for THS students.

“[The Project} gives students a chance to use their skills from school and put them into action,” senior English Teacher Liz Autry said.

The project consists of twenty hours of community service, a research paper surrounding the topic of the project, writing other short papers regarding whatever project you choose to do and finally, the presentation.

There are a wide variety of ideas to fill in the part of community service. The project should focus on providing a service to the community, such as helping the homeless or the disabled.

“There are a wide range of different projects. We had students that painted the exterior of a storm shelter and had more immediate projects such as sending shoe boxes to the troops,”  assistant principal Dr. Ryan Curry said.

Whatever is chosen for the project, it’s smart to make sure to document the time spent and take pictures whenever community service has occurred. Because after completing the twenty hours, presentations will begin which is arguably  one of the most important parts of the project.

Students are required to present in a business formal manner– wearing a formal outfit, speaking clearly and professionally and having a good stage presence. Students are graded as a team, so it is wise to practice before the presentation time.

“I was very nervous, but my group members were able to calm me down by encouraging me” says Zae Beene.

Last but not least, after the presentation, the project is presented again as a poster presentation representing all the various parts of their project to parents, teachers and other community members at the community presentation where students speak directly with interested parties.

The senior project was first begun in 2005. At this point, each student was required to develop and complete a project on their own. In 2008, the Association for Excellence in Education (AEE) made arrangements for students to present their Culmination Project at the BancorpSouth Arena to business and community leaders. In 2013, students no longer had to complete individual projects but were placed in teams, and the presentation of the Culmination Project moved back to the campus of Tupelo High School.

Since 2008, 7500 projects  have been completed through Tupelo High School. Hundreds of acts of good service have been done by students of THS.

“The senior project benefits both [the participants and the community]. It shows that people still care for their community. It also helps the students in the long run when it comes to real world events,” Curry said.

Jody and the Distance

Group members: Austin Statum, Jody Doss, Sydney Lesikar, Jewel Johnson

Overview of project: Hosted a fund-raiser collecting monetary and toy donations. With the money collected, they purchased toys from a wish list for Le Bonheur patients. Also drove to Le Bonheur HQ and donated the toys.

Benefit: Kids in the hospital received toys for Christmas.

Memorable moments: Buying the gifts.

Mansion with a Mission

Group members: Matt Billingsley, Anna Kate Dunn, Maddie Stanzell, Carrol Trent Imbler

Overview of project: Partnered with the Tupelo Children’s Mansion to provide a safe space for the children who live there to be a part of a community event. Held a fall festival for the children and were able to participate in a community wide trunk or treat.

Benefit: Raised money for the Tupelo Children’s Mansion

Memorable moments: Able to see each child’s face light up as they entered the area where the festival was held. They had never been a part of this type of event.

The Five Heartbeats

Group members: Javeonte Perry, Zacchaeus Bene, Montserrat Valencia Jara, Tyiashia Armstrong, Tatiyanna McDowell

Overview of project: Went to Tender Care and taught pre-school kids Spanish and did activities.

Benefit: Learned a different culture and how to be diverse.

Memorable moments: Watching the kids react to the activities.