One in five teens suffers from clinical depression

Treyce Bannerman, Hi-Times Staff Writer

Depression is an age-old mental illness plagued with age-old misunderstandings. Unlike Ebola, depression isn’t contagious, and it won’t cause internal bleeding. The scariest part? There are no visible symptoms of this disease. But it is deadly in its own right.

“Depression affects a person’s feelings, thoughts, mood, behaviors and physical health,” explained Tina Dye, a support therapist at Tupelo High School. “Some symptoms of depression include changes in sleep, changes in appetite, severely negative feelings, a loss of interest in once enjoyable activities, lack of energy and, for some people, suicidal thoughts.”

Depression, however, may not work alone.

“Depression can occur in conjunction with anxiety, substance abuse and life-altering events,” Dye said, “but there is help available.”

As the American school system’s knowledge of depression and its prevalence among student populations grows, so do efforts to provide more necessary mental health accommodations.

“School counselors are always available to help students with their needs and concerns,” said Katie Schaefer, a guidance counselor at THS. “However, depression is a mental illness, and due to the nature of the illness, school counselors advise parents and students to seek mental health treatment outside of the educational setting.”

Meaghan Killian, a junior at THS, spoke from experience about the seriousness of depression.

“I was never a happy child,” Killian said. “I always felt a sadness in me that I never understood. As I got older, it intensified to the point where I had to be hospitalized and receive treatment.”

Killian elaborated on common misconceptions some have on depression.

“Depression cannot be healed with a Band-Aid,” Killian said. “It takes time…years. Even then, some aren’t fully healed. It follows them for the rest of their lives. Suicide is a result of depression, and it can be deadly unless you get it treated.”

Killian said depression can stigmatize a student’s social life and grades.

“My grades and social life suffered before I got treatment and began taking medication,” she said. “A lot of times I would isolate myself from everything and everyone, even my family.”

Though she hopes her own experiences will provide hope for others, Killian strongly urges sufferers of depression to seek help and keep fighting.

“Don’t give up on yourself,” she said. “Fight through it because in the end you’ll feel better and happier. Seek the help you need; it all starts with you talking to someone.”