High school courses reach beyond the classroom

Kaitlin Flowers, Hi-Times Staff Writer

“When are we actually going to use this?”

It’s the age old question. We’ve all heard it, and most of us have probably asked it a few times throughout our high school careers.

The answer almost always starts, “Well, when you’re a…” or, “If you become a…”

OK, yes. If I become an engineer, I’m going to need math, but what about the real application? Why are we learning this stuff? I asked some teachers, hoping they could shed some light on the subject.

“Maybe I’m a little biased, but my subject is constantly used,” said Kayla Fisackerly, an Algebra III and Trigonometry teacher.

According to Fisackerly, trigonometry is very prevalent in the day-to-day. From sports to driving to home improvement, we use trig all the time. But what about the subjects that don’t come with built-in application problems?

“Knowing U.S. History will allow [students] to be more informed voters and citizens,” said Leslie Pleasants, U.S. History teacher.

History isn’t a subject we tend to think about as far as application goes. The past is in the past, and we’re all about the future. Right?

“History repeats itself and we must try to not repeat the mistakes,” Pleasants added.

As an example, she explained how the United States became the “World’s Police Power” during the Imperialism era, which still affects us in situations like ISIS, Al-Qaeda and Afghanistan. The past still proves relevant.

Not every course option is so cut-and-dry, however. Some classes seem a little obscure or are incredibly specific. How are those classes useful? Maybe their purpose is less about the subject matter and more about the methods of learning it.

“What [students] will use and what they are strengthening are their research and problem-solving skills,” explained Guy McCoy, biomedical research and marine and aquatic science teacher.

McCoy teaches his classes how to think for themselves and how to conduct their own research, typically via discussion and hands-on activities. It’s about the principle, not necessarily fish or medicine.

While each teacher emphasized the importance of his or her own subject, they at least seemed to agree on the idea of preparing us, not just teaching us.

“I believe the most important concepts learned in this class are learning to think logically and to apply previously-gained knowledge for new applications,” Fisackerly said.

Our teachers want us to walk away with the ability to learn on our own in any subject. Even our electives are teaching us important life skills.

“I’m always really big to stress public speaking skills,” said Allana Austin, who teaches theatre. “It’s just common sense stuff. You’re going to work on a team. You’re going to have to speak in front of people. You’re going to have to express yourself.”

So, why are we learning this stuff? Is it so we can make the perfect play on the football field? Are we aiming to lead the country in the right direction? Do we want to become the next big name in medicine or make the world our stage?

We’re being taught the skills. It’s up to us to apply them.