Theatre takes the stage

Theatre is one of the many different types of activities that are available to students at Tupelo High School. Theatre is more than just students reading scripts on a stage.

“Theatre here at the high school means that you learn about theatre history and you learn about what acting is and all of the backstage jobs,” Allana Austin Theatre teacher said.

Tupelo high school offers theatre I through IV classes for its students. The High school’s theatre department hosts plays that any Tupelo High student can audition for.

“Theatre is a way to express yourself but not as yourself.  It’s honestly an escape. It’s really fun to be able to come in here and just read and just go with it,” Senior Lana Hollis said.

The process of producing the play takes a lot of hard work, preparation, and teamwork. There is a lot of rehearsal it takes to put a whole production together.

“It’s like when you’re working together with your friends it takes a lot but, it’s all worth it in the end,” sophomore Kalvin Sepulveda said.

There are many traditions in theatre, one of the main ones being a warmup that has been passed down for six years that is done before each performance. Being able to be a part of these traditions is one of the reasons some students come to join the theatre department.

“Even if you don’t think you will like it, just try it out. I first started out as an accident, they gave me the class as an accident, but I liked it so I stuck with it,” Sepulveda said.