The online collaborative home for the print publications of Golden Wave Media.

THS Current

THS Current

THS Current

Seniors prepare for new schedules

Emmy Dean
Senior come onto campus to start their year

Yesterday, August 10, Tupelo announced a new schedule change for seniors. Seniors will only be required to come to school for the class they need to take to graduate. Tupelo officials had thought about implementing it previously. 

“This is something that we’ve kind of been discussing for a good while some of the other schools in the state have been doing it,” 12th-grade counselor, James Philley, said. 

Students have the opportunity for more free time for hobbies and events outside of school. Many students are excited about the new change. 

“It [will] be able to help me open up time to do more stuff. I heard people talking about going to the gym so that would be a good idea if I could. I can sleep in later and get out earlier and I still have time to do stuff. That’s not school,” senior Jevon Edwards said. 

There is a certain order students will have to follow to be able to benefit from the schedule change. 

“There will be a message sent out to parents with a link to the form like the schedule change request form, that yall use at the beginning of the year, but this will just be for leave and the parents will get their students figure out which classes they don’t want to take. And we’ll use that form to drop classes and make determinations on whether or not they need to class,” Philly said

Seniors think the schedule change will help them grow academically as well as give them a much-needed break from the classes. 

“I think that [this is]  very useful and helpful to seniors. I think it’s one of the better changes they  [have] had in recent years because it’ll be good for people so that they can have more time management,” Edwards said.