The online collaborative home for the print publications of Golden Wave Media.

THS Current

THS Current

THS Current

Student Business Takeover

Gifted student showcases her business.

Teenage hair braider and THS sophomore, Jakiyra Metcalf owns “Styled By Jakiyra,”.
“I am a hair braider and I specialize in doing bohemian knotless braids and stitch braids,” Metcalf said.
Metcalf has a suite on 313 South Gloster Street in Tupelo, Mississippi. She also does other hairstyles such as any size or length knotless or box braids as well as wig installs.
Although she has a business, she is also a student. She has to find a balance.
“I have school from eight to three and I take clients after school, and I have to make time for myself on the weekends,” Metcalf said.
Making time for yourself is very important while running a business, but it is especially important if you’re running a business while being a sophomore. Metcalf’s weekends are spent having fun or relaxing in a calm environment.
Metcalf tries to create a calm environment according to client Ariana Shaw. Shaw received knotless tribal braids. Shaw details her experience in Metcalf’s chair.
“I think that she’s a very talented girl,” Shaw said. “She’s very young, and that’s why her talent is just really amazing. The quality of the hair was good. She’s a nice girl. It was all pretty good!”
Metcalf has received rave reviews from many people throughout THS including students from all grades and even Teachers. Freshman Marlie Judd also gave Metcalf’s work high praise. Judd received large knotless braids. Judd testifies to her experience.

“My experience was awesome! It was very quick. She was a very fun person to be around,” Judd said.
The number of accolades reflects her work. It shows that her clients are not only satisfied with their hair, but that they are also satisfied with the experience.
Metcalf is currently taking new clients. To book you can go to her Facebook(@Jakiyra Metcalf) and click the link in her bio.