The online collaborative home for the print publications of Golden Wave Media.

THS Current

THS Current

THS Current

First Pep Rally Hits High Note: Teachers Compete in Musical Chairs Showdown

Every year students at THS look forward to the pep rallies as a chance to interact with their peers but also to watch the teachers participate in games. On Sept 1 the cheerleaders chose to have teachers participate in a musical chairs game.  What is often a peaceful game turned cut-throat as the teachers danced and sang along with popular music from the last several decades. 

Ms. Blackmon had the distinction of being the second teacher out of the Teacher musical chairs game at the pep rally Sept. 1.

“I think I just got so in tune with the Music that I forgot about playing the game,” Blackmon said. “[I was thinking] What if I fall? Or what if I win? What would that feel like? So I had like a lot of mixed emotions. Overall, it was really fun. And I had a really great time.”

“I didn’t pay attention to who was behind me. And I did not really look to see where the next chair was. So when the music stopped, and I realized that it was time for me to find a chair, and I realized who was behind me, Dr. Boyd, who is one of the strongest people ever. So as I was trying to take the near his seat, I realized that the competition was gonna be a whole lot more stronger than I expected. So as I’m trying to prop my way in the chair, just a little bump that she gave me I knew then I was defeated,” Blackmon said.

Ms. Sandroni was the second teacher out. 

“I’d try to stay away from people, not too close to the person in front of me and not too close to the person behind me,” Sandroni said. “Apparently, I’m not aggressive enough to win musical chairs.”

Ms. Blanton wasn’t paying attention to the songs, she was too focused on the chairs, a strategy that paid up until the last round. 

“I am very competitive, so I was kind of trying to lay low, and my plan was to squat down and push them out [of the chair] like a defensive position like football or maybe blocking out in basketball,” Blanton said. “Honestly, I couldn’t even name one [of the songs] right now, I just wanted to win.”

Ms. Rawson fought like a champ.

“I’m not competitive at all. I’ll probably just be like, ‘Oh, you can have it, go ahead and take the chair.’ But then when I got in it, I was like, ‘Roar’ (Dinosaur roar), like, I just went from thinking I was not competitive to I gotta win,“ Rawson said. “I didn’t really have a strategy other than to get my tail on that chair. I was just trying to hang close to the chairs so that I could sit down just right when the music stopped.”

Mr.Wilson was pushed out in the 5th round by Dr. Thomas.  

“I was winning at first I was in between Mr Henderson and my boss [Dr. Thomas] and I was gonna let my boss win,” Wilson said. 

Ms. Newton was pushed out by Ms. Rawson. 

“I felt like i had it, I was fully in the chair Ms. Rawson wasn’t playing any games and pulled me out of my chair. I was disappointed when I  got out but I had a lot of fun dancing to the music before Ii got out,” Newton said.

Coach Boyd was the third teacher standing.

“Oh, I’m about to beat everybody. Okay, you’re about to be very competitive. I’m not going down without a fight,” Boyd said. “The Musical Chairs of course, allowed the teachers to come in and interact with one another and let the students know that we can have fun as teachers.”

THS Album students:  Miles Howell, Jocelynn Starks, Jaremiah Shelton and Asia Darden also contributed to this article.