The online collaborative home for the print publications of Golden Wave Media.

THS Current

THS Current

THS Current

Tupelo Football vs Southhaven

The Tupelo Varsity Football team played their second home game of the season against the Southaven Chargers on Friday September 1st, a game they were able to win 40-7 with a combination of a strong run game, forced defensive takeaways, and stout defense.

The Golden Wave took the field later than expected because of a weather delay caused by some unfortunate rain, something that would impact the rest of the game.

The Tupelo defense quickly left their mark after forcing a fumble on the first play of scrimmage, a takeaway the offense would immediately take advantage of with a rushing touchdown from wide receiver Tyreke Darden putting the Golden Wave up 6-0.

The rain would necessitate production from the run game and Tupelo would get that production from running back JJ Hill, who would rush for 3 touchdowns, including a 55 yard touchdown run from a fake punt.

Quarterback Jeremiah Harrell had another good game with both a passing touchdown and rushing touchdown, the team’s passing volume was limited because of the field conditions. The only touchdown reception of the game was caught by wide receiver Braylon Mathews.

Tupelo kept Southaven from scoring until their final offensive drive while also forcing 2 fumbles and 2 turnovers on downs from mishandled snaps on Southaven punts.

With this win Tupelo moves to 2-0 on the season, with their next game being against Hernando at home on Friday, September 8th at 7:00 p.m.