Aquatic Center makes splash with swimmers

Morgan Southworth, Hi-Times Assistant Editor

On Dec. 14, 2013, the Tupelo Aquatic Center, located on 692 North Veterans Blvd. and open seven days a week, opened its doors for the first time. Nine months have passed since the opening and the community is very pleased at the new variety of options the pool gives them.

“We’re able to do a lot more things at this facility than at the old one,” said Charlie Davis, senior at Tupelo High School and lifeguard at the Aquatic Center. “We can host bigger swim meets and now we have a recreational pool.”

The Aquatic Center is almost 50,000 square feet and seats nearly 1,000 spectators. The larger of the two pools is Olympic length, which allows the THS swim team to practice in a more proper pool than before. Originally, rumors had circulated that the THS swim team would continue to use the city pool located on Joyner, but the coach of the THS swim team, Lucas Smith, confirmed that his team is practicing at the new building.

“The plan was for the community to use the pool and we’re part of the community,” Smith said.

Likewise, the Aquatic Center also offers a large range of options for people who want to swim for fun. It provides several swimming class, such as Aquatic Zumba, Aquatic Kickboxing, and swimming lessons for both adults and children. The pool also allows swimmers the option of renting large flotation devices to play with, many of which would have no problem seating multiple people.

The Aquatic Center hosted several events during the month of August, including Back to School Splash where all large flotation devices were inflated for pool use (unlike the usual practice of only inflating them when asked) and the Tupelo Fit Event where Aquatic Zumba classes were free. During October there will be an event called The Great Pumpkin Splash, the details of which are unknown at this time. The specifics will most likely be posted on the Tupelo Aquatic Center website as the date approaches, as has been done for the previous announcements.

“Even if I was to ask for another pool, it couldn’t be any better,” Smith said.