Wave predicts season flood

Shawanda Jones, Hi-Times Staff Writer

In pre-season action, wide receiver Alex Norwood scored the first touchdown, while sophomore wide receiver Donte Freeman followed suit for the Golden Wave’s 12-0 defeat of the Itawamba AHS Indians in a scrimmage Aug. 15.

“I think the kids executed and did the things we asked them to do,” offensive line coach Christopher Spencer said after the two-quarter controlled scrimmage. “But we kept it very vanilla out here and the real test will be next Friday [against Lafayette].”

Second-string safety Rontavius McGhee is from the Memphis area but was already aware of the infamous Golden Wave before he arrived during the offseason.

“I knew Tupelo was the No. 1 defense in the state at the time and also the most physical beforehand,” McGhee said. “They were willing to put more in and became ‘lion-hearted’ throughout the season. It was one of the best defenses I have ever seen. My eyes were shocked at the amount power, force and determination I saw on Friday night recordings. For me to actually be a part of this team is just an honor.”

Running back Tavontae Hadley and quarterback Daniel Bristow, as well as many others, believe offense is often overshadowed by defense. Both said that even though offense puts up points, defense wins games.

“They both go hand in hand,” Bristow said.

Norwood, like other senior players, has taken it upon himself to ensure that the team’s greatness carries on even after he has left by leading the younger receivers, showing them the ins and outs.

“Catching balls and making touchdowns is what we do,” he said.

Although some debate on which plays the more important role, one thing every player agrees on is their desire to bring home a state championship win. Bristow described it as “a different type of feeling,” while Norwood elaborated on last year’s near win.

“Coming up short last year was like fuel to the fire, even though our goal was to win championship and we’re just trying to work harder and do the little things to get there,” Bristow said. “We need to have a winning season. We need to go deep in the playoffs. We need to go to state.”

The first step in going to state would be to begin the start the season off right, and that is exactly what the Wave did against Lafayette County on the Commodores’ turf at on Aug. 22. The Golden Wave won its first official game of the season, beating the Commodores 20-0.

Running back Deamio Garmon had the most rushing yards of the night (96 yards) and Norwood scored six points, but it wasn’t until Demaris Wise’s surprise play at the end of the fourth quarter when the game was securely in their pockets. With only nine seconds left, defensive player Wise made an interception and drove the ball 65 yards into the end zone to make the final play of the night.

The first home game took place on Aug. 29 against Center Hill, with an end score of 48-7. Garmon once again finished the game with the most rushing yards, 142. After the game, he talked about the scoring standstill during the first half.

“Center Hill wanted to slow down the tempo to try to throw defense off,” he said.

Defensive lineman coach Brian Jones said there was a combination of factors involved.

“For defense, we were on the field for a long, long time,” he said. “Their offense did a really nice job at just converting third downs and just making us have to work to get the ball back, [and] them doing a good job of managing possession kinda led to” the absence of the average number of points the first half.

Even though mistakes were made, senior defensive end Shaun Kohlheim said the defense stepped up.

“Defensively, I feel like we came out dry, but we stepped it up, defensive end,” Kohlheim said. “Mistakes were made. There was a lot we had to capitalize on, that we did in the second half. The quarterback for Center Hill was a phenomenal athlete. We would get to third down, and the quarterback would just make a complete play ’cause he’s a playmaker. But once we stopped him from making plays …”

A variety of players, well known and unfamiliar names alike, made a statement during the game as well, all scoring: Norwood; senior kicker Zack Ellis; junior running back David Birks; junior kicker Alex Hill; Bristow; senior cornerback Jarren McKinzie; Hadley; senior running back/safety Jarvis Wilson; Garmon; and sophomore wide receiver Jaden Smith.

At the next home game on Sept. 9, the Golden Wave defeated longtime county rival the Shannon Red Raiders, 38-8.

Norwood scored the most touchdowns for an individual player, one rushing and one receiving.

Although the Saltillo game on Sept. 12 was expected be a blowout by both sides, the scores disproved that theory. Players expected to win by at least 50 points, but at 00:00, the scoreboard was 21-9.

Only three Golden Wave players put points on the board that night. Wilson scored two touchdowns, with the most rushing yards during a single game thus far in the 2014 season.

Freeman followed with 116 yards making one TD, and Ellis kicked for three points.

Some say defense has not held up to the last year’s title, No. 1 defense in the state, but the players are indeed trying to stay at the top.

Wise made 19 solo tackles, tied with Tyler Gilbert with 11 assists and the finish four games with a total of 30 tackles – the most tackles on defense this season so far. Justin Clifton holds the highest number of pass breakups.

After a bye week, Homecoming is next on schedule for Sept. 26 at 7 p.m. The Wave, which opens Division 1-6A play against Hernando, is preparing for another week of flooding and the Tigers are its next victim.