The online collaborative home for the print publications of Golden Wave Media.

THS Current

THS Current

THS Current

Tupelo Madrigals performs preview show

The hallways of building D are filled with musical melodies from the band and keyboard classes to the coral groups that sing throughout the halls. One of these singing groups is housed in, D103. The groups sing an abundance of styles such as acapella pop, madrigals, or jazz. Just past the door students are dressing and preparing to perform. Students are decked out in their Renaissance dresses and veils that flicker and gleam or dressed or getting into their formal attire waiting to sing. It may seem that the sounds come naturally but it is harder to foster than one may think. The students work around the clock to make sure their performance is as perfect as possible.

“We start the day that school starts and we just begin learning Renaissance Madrigal music. It’s a lot of hard work,” director Suzy Williams said. 

There are multiple groups directed under Williams. Junior varsity students can participate in MadJazz and Junior Varsity madrigals. The varsity groups that Williams directs are called High Tide and THS Madrigals. According to Williams students sing a variety of acapella songs from different time periods   

It takes a lot of practice for students to learn to sing acapella. Students learn to pay attention to every detail in their music. Many students have found a sense of community while participating in these various groups. 

“When [the group] joins together and you can sing and you just get to blend in and all the hard work pays off, and it just feels like that y’all are really connected and your voices just sound like one,” Alyssa Arnold (9) said. 

One thing that separates Madrigals from other singing groups is the outfits they wear. Students get to add their own personal touch to their costumes.

“In prior years I’ve met with students and we designed [the outfits], obviously, keeping them the right time period in history so that they match, or are historically accurate or pretty close,” Williams said.

The group adds little touches such as sparkles to ensure they stand out while singing in front of their audience. It is a process to make the dresses and veils used for the performance.

“I give them some websites to go look on and kind of see what you like but mostly I go to the fabric store and pick out all the things that work and if somebody has really strong feelings about something, I’ll try to honor that,” Williams said.

Members of the group appreciate the memories Madrigals, MadJazz, or HighTide has given them.

• Thomas Roper (11) and Caleigh Martin (12) prepare to perform in front of a crowd of fans in the PAC.

• Lauren Bell (12) walks into the back to perform.

• Hannah White (10) fixes her veil before walking onto the stage

• Claudia Blaylock (9) looks in the mirror to perfect her outfit before the show

• Madrigals prepare to take to stage by singing ballads

• Chole Shawl (11), Oliva White (10), and Hannah White (10) prepare together before performing

• Madrigals director, Suzy Williams, fixes Alissa Patterson’s (10) veil before the performance

• Members of Madrigals fix their costumes before the preview

• Madrigals students warm-up before their big performance.

• Suzy Williams prepares her students before their performance.

• Lauren Bell (12) and Chloe Shaw (11) prepare together for their opening performance

• Isabell Rutland (9) talks to other members about her first performance in Madrigals

• Andrea Laman (12), Madison Sullivan (12), and Katelyn Cheney (12) share their excitement about their last preview as Tupelo students

• Hannah White (10) walks into the PAC to perform with her fellow teammates

• Katelyn Cheney (12) and Andrea Laman (12) take the stage for their last Madrigals preview.

• Olga Dahl watches for the Madrigals as she prepares to play the piano for the group

• Chloe Shawl (10) and Hannah White (10) walk between the isles to perform for the students of Tupelo High School

• Alyssa Arnold (9) Davion Davis (9) walk hand in hand to perform for the guests

• London Williams (9) and Shinji Spragin (9) sing ballads as they walk the aisles of the PAC

• Junior Varsity Madrigals performs for the first time in front of the Tupelo community

• Madrigals come together to sing for the Tupelo community

• Madrigals sings Christmas Carols in preparation for their Christmas dinner SingeFeaste.

• Dr. Suzy Williams explains the purpose of Madrigals and the various songs they sing

• Varsity Madrigals sings their song Chili Con Carne

• Varsity Madrigals perform a variety of songs

• Junior Varsity Madrigals prepares to watch Varsity take the stage

• Chloe Shaw (11) and Hannah White exit the PAC through the aisles after their performance

• Andrea Laman (12), Shelby Burks (12), and Katelyn Cheney (12) sing as part of their last preview