Seniors work on variety of collaborative projects

Emily Wright, Hi-Times Staff Writer

Tupelo High School 12th-graders currently taking English IV are hard at work on their senior projects. The collaborative projects, which all have a community service aspect, will be presented to the public in December.

What? “We are starting a group where 11th- and 12th-graders are being a friend or a big brother/sister or buddy to special needs kids. We are paired up with another person our age, and we engage and become friends with a special needs person.”

Who? Emily Wright, Lauren Losordo, Sarah Lambert Hollingsworth, Clayton Horton

Why? “We chose to do this because we want to give special needs individuals the same opportunity we have, and we wanted to involve them in more activities and have the chance to build and develop more relationships with people that are different and also like them.”

When? Throughout the entire school year

– Lauren Losordo

What? “We are making picnic tables for the Ballard Park Sportsplex baseball facility.”

Who? William Ikerd, Mickey Sesin, Blake Harris, Benton Barber

Why? “There was a desperate need for picnic tables at Ballard Park. One day we were out there at a baseball tournament, and we were like, ‘Hey, what if you want to come out here and bring the whole family and have a little picnic? There’s no place to have that besides on the ground so why not build some picnic tables.’”

– Benton Barber

What? “My group and I are volunteering to help with the Barktober Fest, and we are building a doghouse to be auctioned off and the proceeds are going to go to the Humane Society.”

Who? Mary Payne Dillard, Claire Loden, Megan Ybarra, Jack Rogers

Why? “Our local dog park needed help being advertised, and no one ever came to it so we are trying to spread the word.”

– Mary Payne Dillard

What? “We are refurbishing the chairback seats in the Tupelo High School football stadium.”

Who? Rachel Hicks, Zach Ellis, Rachael Malone, Woody Goss

Why? “The blue turf came in and made the chairbacks look even more faded, and it just did not look good so we decided to make it look better. We talked to three football boosters, and they are helping fund this project.”

– Zach Ellis

What? “My group is doing an etiquette workshop. It’s sort of like cotillion, but it’s for free.

Who? Cj Williams, Laine Mansour, Labella Blackmon, Rosanna Head

Why? “Etiquette is really important, and manners are really important. These days that’s been lost just with society, so we thought it’s important to bring it back and for kids to learn at a young age to be polite and just say thank you and how to present themselves in a professional manner.”

When? Mid-October

– Cj Williams

What? “We are crocheting hats for cancer patients.”

Who? Maddie Sloan, Carson Burcham, Connor Hudspeth, Natalie Sowers

Why? “Connor’s dad just died of cancer, my grandparents died of cancer, and Maddie’s great grandparents died of cancer, so we wanted to do something with cancer.”

– Natalie Sowers

What? “We are hosting a political forum. A town hall forum. We are going to get a lot of candidates from an election, and they are going to debate and answer questions.”

Who? Noel Morgan, Kelsey Brownlee, Larkin Robbins

Why? “Noel is really politically involved in things, and Ms. Friar got really excited about it.”

– Kelsey Brownlee

What? “Pay it forward. It is a day when the community does small acts of kindness for one another, and it just carries on.”

Who? Mallie Imbler, Morgan Southworth, Molly Homan, McKenzie Denton

Why? “We chose to do this because it will allow us to work in the community in small ways.”

When? October 15

– McKenzie Denton

What? “We are working with the Hospice House and doing anything they need done.”

Who? Bryce Hunt, Drew Langford, Alexis Evans, Ariel Jolly

Why? “We just want to show the community that even though they have a short time limit on their life, we still care about them, and they matter.”

When? Periodically through the fall semester.

– Bryce Hunt

What? “We are making pillowcases for sick children in the hospital.”

Who? Ashley Chimahusky, Brianna Fields, Sabrina Crumpton, Malorie Payne

Why? “We wanted to help the kids. We didn’t want their room to look dull and white while they’re there sick.”

When? Mid-November

– Malorie Payne

What? “We are writing a children’s book and reading it to kids at schools.”

Who? Haithem Mahmoud, Allie Jaggers, Austin Ragsdale, Mollie Bradford

Why? “We thought it would be fun to go to the school and hang out with the kids.”

When? Before Thanksgiving

– Mollie Bradford

What? “We are remodeling the courtyard for Pierce Street.”

Who? Tyler Sykes, Reed Thornton, Houston West, Cortevious Shields

Why? “We wanted to build something for the school.”

When? Before it gets cold.

– Tyler Sykes

What? “We’re hosting a comedy show to raise awareness for depression.”

Who? Bailey Martin, Rebecca Dernar, Justin Blaylock, Mitch Ostrander

Why? “Depression is becoming a very relevant part of today’s society, and it needs to be recognized.”

When? Nov. 13

– Mitch Ostrander