The online collaborative home for the print publications of Golden Wave Media.

THS Current

THS Current

THS Current

2024 Homecoming: Spirit Week

2024 THS spirit week, students and faculty celebrate homecoming with theme and tradition for the upcoming homecoming game

Another year and another week-long celebration for students, alumni, and the community to come together to celebrate school spirit and pride. Spirit week was a fun time to come together to dress up and be festive while showing support for Tupelo’s 2024 homecoming court and football players leading up to their big game. 

On Monday, September 25; Day 1 of Spirit Week, it is the day of the Color Wars. Students and staff members dressed up in many different colors according to their grades. 

9th grade- Orange
10th grade- Purple
11th grade- White
12th grade- Black
Staff- Red

“Color day was probably one of the best days during spirit week. It was fun seeing everyone wear their colors, especially the seniors, they definitely did the best because whenever you saw a senior you saw black. It was definitely a 10 out of 10.” – Senior Arianna Shaw said.

Tuesday, September 26; Day 2 of spirit week, it’s time for the West Coast vs Wild West. Students and teachers wear beach outfits or country/western outfits. “Western day was my favorite day. It brought out more of my countryside and I saw everyone with their boots on and all types of Western stuff.” Junior Ashton Mccoy said. 

Everyone loved the Wild West theme, but Wednesday’s theme was everyone’s favorite day.

Wednesday, September 27; Day 3 of spirit week: Barbie Day. Everyone dresses up in pink as their favorite Barbie or Ken doll. “My favorite theme was Barbie Day because everyone wore pink and I love pink. It was a fun day and it was easy to dress up in pink.” Freshman Maddy Leigh said. 

“I think Barbie Day was the best day. Everyone had on pink and everyone was matching so Barbie Day was definitely the most liked theme of Spirit Week.” Senior Trell Robinson said.

Thursday, September 28; Day 4 of spirit week: Jersey Day. Everyone showed their favorite sports teams in a t-shirt or jersey. Jersey Day was full of different sports teams and it was very entertaining, but some say that jersey is the theme of Spirit Week that they would change if they could. “I would’ve changed jersey day back to Throwback Thursday. I liked wearing clothes from back in the day.” Junior Nadia Fleet said. 

“I would’ve brought Throwback Day back and I would have added Students vs Teachers Day where students dressed like teachers and teachers dressed like students.” Trell Robinson said.

Friday, September 29th; Blue/Gold Day and GAMEDAY: Everyone popped out in their school colors to show support for the football team going into the homecoming game. Homecoming was

a great and fun experience for everyone, especially those part of the homecoming court. “I enjoyed my homecoming and I enjoyed spirit week because I was on the homecoming court for my 2nd year, it was a fun experience and I made great memories that I will remember forever.” Sophomore Kennedi Simmons said. 

“I loved homecoming, my favorite part of it was the parade. It was the most fun part of homecoming.” Freshman Kaleigh Brand said.

“Homecoming was the bomb, it was the best thing ever for my freshman year, the parade was also my favorite part.” Freshman Maddy Leigh said. 

The Homecoming court had a great line-up and everyone got along well. Everyone from seniors to freshmen celebrated their joy of being selected to the court and they enjoyed the time they spent together. “Everybody was super nice, they made it so fun. Shout-out to Gabbi and Sadie, y’all were the best!!” Maddy Leigh said.

“We had so much fun and we enjoyed it. We were all just happy that we made it on the court.” Nadia Fleet said. 

Although homecoming was a fun experience for everyone, there were some challenges. 

“The most challenging part of homecoming was preparing for it. There is a lot that goes into it and it’s limited people around Tupelo who do certain things because we have such a small town. So we have to get to them before they get booked up. I had to get myself mentally prepared first though and after that the fun starts, you look for dresses, you get people for your hair and it’s just a fun girly girl experience,” Kennedi Simmons said.