Northern Loop: Faster means or speed trap?

Emily Wright, Hi-Times Staff Writer

The Northern Loop, which connects Coley Road, Mount Vernon, Highway 78 and Barnes Crossing Road, opened in September.

This $10.5 million road has decreased the amount of time it takes students, especially tuition students, to get to Tupelo High School. The road has far less traffic, making it more attractive to motorists.

Rachael Malone, a senior, drives to THS from her home in Saltillo and has enjoyed the new road.

“It helps me get to school faster, because I used to have to take back roads and go through multiple lights, but now it’s more of straight shot,” Malone said.

Because the Northern Loop has made Highway 78 and Barnes Crossing Road easily accessible to students and other drivers, local businesses may begin to see an increase in sales. The Chick-fil-A outside the mall was once at an inconvenient location, but this new medium has decreased the time it takes many students to get fast food.

The only significant issue brought to light about the new road is the 50 mph speed limit and the reduced 45 mph speed zones. The emptiness of the road makes motorists want to drive at speeds much faster than what is marked.

For example, an article in the Daily Journal revealed if drivers are clocked at 70 mph in the 50 mph zone, they will receive a $168 ticket. Many THS students have said that they go 60-70 mph regardless of the speed limit.

THS sophomore Lexi Pund is a living example that speeders will get caught.

“I don’t like the road because the speed limit is too low,” Pund said. “I got a ticket going 68 mph in a 45 mph zone on that road.”