The online collaborative home for the print publications of Golden Wave Media.

THS Current

THS Current

THS Current

Tupelo Football runs past Starkville 36-6.

Varsity football clenches back to back Region title, first time in new classification 7A.

The Tupelo Varsity Football team played their final regular season game of the year against the arch-rival Starkville Yellow Jackets on Thursday, November 2nd.

Last season Tupelo went 1-1 against Starkville after defeating them in the regular season but later losing in the playoffs. This time Tupelo won  36-6 by following the same formula that they have been following the entire season taking advantage of their strong run game and defense.

Tupelo forced a punt on Starkville’s first drive and followed that up with a drive of only running plays, starting with a big run by running back Quay Middlebrooks and ending with a short touchdown run by Quarterback Jeremiah Harrell. A Starkville penalty on the extra point attempt put Tupelo in position to go for a 2-point attempt, one which they converted with a pass to tight end Brody Wilson.

Starkville’s only touchdown of the night came on a 2-yard run in the second quarter, a failed 2-point attempt afterward keeping the score at 8-6. Following the touchdown Starkville attempted and successfully converted a surprise onside kick to maintain possession of the football in Tupelo territory, but a pair of sacks and a failed 4th down conversion gave Tupelo the ball back.

A touchdown reception by Wide Receiver Tyreke Darden put Tupelo up 15-6 right before half-time, and a touchdown reception by Wide Receiver JQ Witherspoon following half-time gave Tupelo a 22-6 lead.

2 deep touchdown passes to wide receivers JQ Witherspoon and Braylon Mathews resulted in the game’s final score of 36-6. With the win Tupelo clinched their title as 7a Region 2 champions and alongside it a number 1 seed in the playoffs. Tupelo will play Desoto Central next Friday, November 10th.