Bowling team strikes again

Treyce Bannerman, Hi-Times Assistant Editor

What many view as an enjoyable pastime, some view as a journey defined by countless hours of practice time and unyielding dedication.

The Tupelo High School bowling teams have seen success and heartbreak in previous years, but the perseverance of team members and coaches is unchanged. At the beginning of this school year, the championship team was introduced to new head coach Guy McCoy and assistant coach David Clayton. Under their direction, the bowling team will defend their state championship titles in Clinton on Feb. 27.

Although both coaches are new, they and their team members consistently motivate one another to boost morale.

“It’s been difficult to adjust under the new coaches because they don’t know a lot about bowling,” said Taylor Russell, a junior on the girls team. “Team members encourage the coaches to do the best they can, and the coaches encourage team members to improve. We all work as a unit.”

Regardless of the new environment, coaches and team members understand success in competition begins with productive practices.

“We stretch, warm up and practice by bowling normal games or simulating competitions,” Russell explained.

Clayton Horton, a senior on the boys team, believes improvement is only found through practicing outside of scheduled team sessions.

“I started improving after a few months of practice,” he said. “Normally I practice five days a week. Three with the team, two by myself.”

Horton attributes the other members’ same practice sessions and increased commitment to his team’s progress and constant success.

“We’re getting more and more involved with bowling,” he said. “Our passion for bowling has grown greatly, so our effort has grown as well.”

However, like all other sports, there is an important offseason.

“After the team has stopped bowling, the starters will practice most of their summer,” Horton said. “When we’re not practicing, we travel to out-of-state to compete in tournaments separate from scheduled Tupelo bowling events.”

Through the season, McCoy has learned the importance of a member’s mentality and its effect on performance.

“Bowling is like other sports because it is a physical activity that requires mental focus.” he said. “If anything, mental focus is heightened while bowling. They practice their physical skills, but they must be modeled and shown how to maintain composure.”

Assistant coach David Clayton said that aside from all of bowling’s technical aspects, the team members’ passion is what builds a necessary sense of community.

“Team members have bowled since they were little,” Clayton said. “Their parents bowled with them. Many know each other personally, and those are their friends. Most surround themselves with bowling; some even work at the bowling alley. The sport is their common bond.”