The online collaborative home for the print publications of Golden Wave Media.

THS Current

THS Current

THS Current

Quill & Scroll honor society induction

Chloe Long
The eight attributes of journalism candles.

The Quill and Scroll Honor Society was established on April 10, 1926, by an array of high school advisors to acknowledge academic and journalistic triumphs in students. The Quill and Scroll is a prestigious honor society, that recognizes scholastic journalism excellence. On November 13, 2023, there was an induction ceremony held at Tupelo High in the media center to celebrate students who have flourished in journalism whether it be broadcast or print.

President Kara Graham a senior at Tupelo High, and senior associate editor of Wave Media also a member of WTHS shares the preparations made for the ceremony, “I had a meeting with my officers to tell them how it would roughly be structured. I then [distributed] speaking parts to the different officers. I also had to gather supplies such as candles, candle holders, tablecloths, and punch equipment. The media center was also set up prior to the ceremony.” Graham said. Graham was inducted into the honor society Fall of 2022, and she knew she wanted to run for President when she found out about officer positions in May of 2023 “to provide opportunities for students journalists to grow and thrive.” Graham said. Being a part of the honor society provides Graham has the ideal opportunity to lead officer meetings, plan events, and give the officers to grow and thrive as student journalists.

Parents, close friends, and of course the officers and inductees, Wave Media advisor Sharin Chumley and WTHS advisor Katrina Berry-Ivy attended along with the guest Speaker Sami Roebuck from WTVA attended the ceremony. Roebuck spoke to the inductees about ludacris moments and her journey in journalism. 

There are currently seven total officer positions in the society:

• Kara Graham who serves as President
  • Thomas Roper who serves as Broadcast Vice President
  • Jevon Edwards who serves as Print Vice President
  • Amari Tucker who serves as Secretary
  • Channing Hooper who serves as Broadcast Historian
  • Chloe Long who serves as Print Historian
  • Anna Grant Khalstorf: who serves as Treasurer

Vice President Jevon Edwards also a senior at Tupelo High, and copy editor of Wave Media shares his excitement to work this year. Edwards was inducted into the society November of 2022. The ceremony consisted of opening words from Thomas Roper who serves as Broadcast VP. Being a part of society “ helps me to see how important journalism is to people and how influential it is for our student journalists” Edwards said. Within his position he is expected to “play a role in organizing events and to pitch ideas to Kara G. [President] and to work in the community” Edwards said. 

The candles of truth, learning, leadership, loyalty, initiative, integrity, judgment, and friendship represented the attributes of journalism were lit by the officers. Each inductee lit their tapers from the candle of Truth and recited the pledge of Quill & Scroll, they also received a certificate of membership.