The online collaborative home for the print publications of Golden Wave Media.

THS Current

THS Current

THS Current

New Classroom, New Challenges: An Elementary Teacher’s High School Transition

As Tupelo High School welcomed a new principal they also welcomed new teachers. Many teachers transferred from elementary to a higher level of education. Joiyah Blackmon sat down with teacher Akena Blackmon, and principal Melissa Thomas to talk about Akena Blackmon’s journey from Lawndale Elementary to Tupelo High School as a 10th grade English teacher. 

“ My motivation from elementary to high school has been my three kids.  They are growing up, so it prepared me to grow with them.  I felt the need and desire to interact with the older students for this reason (evolve with them/next generation).  Besides, many students who I have taught in their younger years are current students, or they are students that I see today passing in the hallways.  It is a blessing to see them grow up to become who they are today.  I ask God each day to allow me to be a blessing to someone today, even if it is a listening ear, hug, smile, or encouraging words.  It is amazing how just a small moment or quick acknowledgement brightens days or adversities that life gives.  This gives me purpose each day.”

Blackmon expresses how her kids encouraged her to move to a higher level. She also expresses how many of the students she taught in elementary are now in high school, she enjoys seeing them develop into the young men and women they are today. Blackmon shows her love to students each and every day and never judges them. 

“My experience thus far at the high school level as it relates to challenges is student attendance, and motivating students to aim to do his/her best.  On the other hand, highlights of high school are the independence of the students.  I am able to focus more on teaching rather than all of the other responsibilities of being an elementary teacher.  All teachers have heavy loads to carry, but from my personal experience,  the heavier loads are those of elementary teachers.  My hat goes off to them!”

Blackmon enjoys the freedom she gets while teaching at a higher level. She expresses how she loves having the ability to actually teach instead of taking care of younger kids. High school kids are more independent than elementary students, so she enjoys the change. 

“Mrs. Blackmon possesses a genuine talent for connecting with students of all ages. She forges strong relationships and demonstrates an exceptional ability to bring out the potential in each of her students.”

Thomas talks about how Blackmon takes her time to actually connect with students. Blackmon also builds bonds with students not just physically by helping them but mentally and emotionally helping them. Blackmon sees the potential in students that many other teachers don’t. 

“ Mrs. Blackmon has seamlessly transitioned into the high school environment, as evidenced by the academic progress of her students. She consistently showcases her proficiency in teaching English Language Arts and adapts her instructional approach to accommodate the diverse needs of her students.”

Thomas says that Blackmon is a great teacher and it shows everyday. Blackmon’s performance academically improves each day. Thomas added that Blackmon adapts to each student in all her classes, and understands that each student learns differently.