The online collaborative home for the print publications of Golden Wave Media.

THS Current

THS Current

THS Current

Dreams in Action: Baseball player chooses a college path

Senior Carson Foster commits to Jackson State University baseball team.

Carson Foster is a Senior at Tupelo High School , who recently committed to Jackson State University to continue his athletic career in baseball.

“I wanna go into sports medicine but I have to get a biology degree first and get a minor in business just in case, but I chose this major so if I don’t make it the full way I’ll have a backup plan to still be around the sport,” Foster said. “Honestly I feel like I can go and excel there and stand out in baseball and get my education at the same time,” Foster added.

Foster feels as if his education and baseball career at Jackson State University will help him excel. He plans on going all the way in his baseball career, but if he doesn’t he has a backup plan. Foster played as a child then ventured off to try new sports like football. Eventually Foster came back to baseball and has been playing this sport ever since. Foster has a lot of experience in this sport and has grown throughout the years.

“I tried playing [baseball] when I was 7 and kinda stopped playing then my football coaches asked me if I wanted to play on Gus’ travel [baseball] team when I was 10 and have been playing since then.” Foster said.

“As a staff, we have always thought that Carson had the physical tools to play baseball at the next level. Like most younger players, it is the fine tuning of those tools as he has grown that has allowed him the opportunity to play collegiality. Based on where he is as a player now, I would say that physically, he could compete at the college level,” assistant baseball coach Luke Davis said.

Davis feels that Foster needs to become more detail oriented and learn how to fix smaller aspects of his mechanics when things aren’t always going great.

“Because baseball is a game of failure, he will just have to continue learning how to handle that adversity. Carson has always been able to light up a room with his personality, and I believe that will be something that the locker room as a whole will miss when he graduates.” Davis said.

Davis adds that Foster going to the next level will teach him things that he couldn’t learn in high school. Davis says coaches and players will miss Foster’s bubbly personality when he graduates.