The online collaborative home for the print publications of Golden Wave Media.

THS Current

THS Current

THS Current

Students and Teachers discuss the benefits of taking the ACT

When considering colleges some students take the ACT to better their chances of getting accepted into the school of their choice.

Student Chloe Long says “I feel the ACT is necessary for us to get into our college, and for us to achieve the futures we desire.” 

The ACT is a standardized test used for college admissions in the United States. It stands for American College Testing. The exam covers four academic skill areas: English, Mathematics, Reading, and Science Reasoning. It also offers an optional direct writing test.

The ACT helps colleges and universities in the United States evaluate a high school student’s readiness for college-level work. 

The scores from the ACT can be used by colleges to compare applicants from different schools and regions. The test also helps students identify their strengths and weaknesses in key academic areas, which can guide their course selection in college. 

ACT prep teacher at Tupelo High School Dr. Brandon says “ The ACT is definitely necessary for college admissions because it shows the colleges your academic ability.”

When taking the ACT it’s best to go into the test ready for anything.  Dr. Brandon says “ When taking the ACT do what you know, when you get to the end and you only have a certain amount of time left but have a good bit of questions just go through and mark the answers; because it is better to answer all the questions because you only get credit for what you get right, nothing happens if you get a question wrong.”