The online collaborative home for the print publications of Golden Wave Media.

THS Current

THS Current

THS Current

Double Duty: Inside the Life of a Student Who Works

Arianna+Shaw
Ashton Mccoy
Arianna Shaw

WM: What motivated you to take on a job while attending school, and how do you balance your time between the two? 

AS: When I turned 16 I decided to get a job because I wanted to have money of my own to be able to buy anything I wanted without having to ask my parents for money. I balance my time in between by making sure that I devote time after getting off work to make sure my assignments are completed.  

WM: Can you share a time when it was particularly challenging to manage both school and work, and how you overcame that challenge? 

AS: Usually around testing is the hardest time to balance school and work. I have to make sure that I take off a few weeks ahead to make sure that I have enough time set aside to study.

WM: What do you enjoy most about your job, and how does it bring value to your life outside of work? 

AS: My favorite parts of having a job is gaining new friendships with coworkers and recognizing when I see regulars. My coworkers make me not dread going to work. When I recognize regulars they are excited that I remember them and we are able to have conversations and catch up.

WM: Have you noticed any changes in your grades since you started working, and how do you handle your academic workload alongside your job responsibilities?

AS: I have not noticed a change in my grades, my grades have pretty much always stayed the same. 

WM: What do you find yourself spending most of your earrings on, and how has having a job influenced your financial decisions? 

AS: I usually spend most of the money I make on food and clothes. It’s something that I definitely need to work on but I can’t help it. 

WM: Can you tell me about any friendships you’ve developed through your work, and how have these relationships impacted your experience? 

AS: I used to go to school in a different district when I was younger and made really close friends there. Working at Chick-fil-a now I reconnected with an old friend from when I was younger and we still are friends now because of work.