The online collaborative home for the print publications of Golden Wave Media.

THS Current

THS Current

THS Current

African-American Firsts

The first African-American people to accomplish great things, or make important impressions on the public.
African-American+Firsts

African-American firsts have made an impact on history with the many things they accomplished. Their impact has set the standards for many throughout time and for those who follow them.

• Frederick Douglas – An American social reformer, abolitionist, orator, writer, and statesman. Frederick Douglas became the most important leader of the movement for African American civil rights in the 19th century.
  • Ethel Payne – Ethel L. Payne was an American journalist, editor, and foreign correspondent. Known as the “First Lady of the black press,” she fulfilled many roles over her career, including columnist, commentator, lecturer, and freelance writer.
  • David Blackwell – American statistician and mathematician who made significant contributions to game theory, information theory, and statistics. David Blackwell is one of the eponymous of the RAO – Blackwell theorem.
  • Vernon Jarrett – Jarrett was an African-American journalist who worked in newspaper, television, and radio and was an influential commentator on race relations, politics, and African-American history.
  • Belva Davis – An American television and radio journalist. She is the first African-American woman to have become a television reporter on the U.S. West Coast. She has won eight Emmy Awards and has been recognized by the American Women in Radio and Television and the National Association of Black Journalists.

These are the African-American first; they are the first of many and have accomplished many things.