The online collaborative home for the print publications of Golden Wave Media.

THS Current

THS Current

THS Current

Tupelo School Districts Mental Health Resources

Stress is a daily reality for many students in America. Studying for exams, handling personal issues, and juggling a job can be overwhelming. This is especially true for young adults who may not be aware of the mental health resources available to them.

The Tupelo School District provides a robust array of resources and information to all students K-12 for any kind of mental health issue.

Mental Health disorders are more common in teens now than ever before, which is why providing students with the necessary resources is also more important now than it ever has been.

According to the National Institute of Mental Health, an estimated 31.9% of U.S. adolescents aged 13-18 have experienced some kind of anxiety disorder.

Similar studies by the National Alliance on Mental Illness reported 42% of Mississippi adults surveyed as having symptoms of anxiety or depression and 1 in 6 of U.S. youth aged 12-17 experiencing a mental health disorder each year.

Most of the district’s resources can be found on the district website under the “Mental Health” tab, which consists of mostly short advisory articles, videos, and podcasts for common problems that can stem from a mental health issue, including overthinking, lack of motivation, and overwhelming stress.

There is also the “Virtual Calming Corner” which has a variety of music, puzzles, and games made to help clear the mind.

Not every issue can be solved by playing a game or listening to some music, but it can be a good way to start tackling an underlying problem, especially when under a time or budget restraint, two things that are often the culprit of an anxiety disorder.

The district is also able to get students in contact with a private school therapist or grade counselor when necessary, a referral form for counseling support can be filled out on the district website.