The online collaborative home for the print publications of Golden Wave Media.

THS Current

THS Current

THS Current

From hometown hero to 3x super bowl champ

The Super Bowl is one of the most-watched sporting events of the year. Head Football coach of the Tupelo Golden Wave had the privilege of coaching Chris Jones the defensive tackle for the Kansas City Chiefs. Coach Hardin coached Chris Jones his junior year going into his sophomore year and had this to say about his Super Bowl-winning player. “And it was, you know, it was crazy. Your first year you get a coach, a kid that’s that talented and has all that ability. So it’s kind of spoiled you for the future. And so he was a he was a young man that I knew was going to be successful in anything he did. He had a pro mindset.” said Hardin 

Hardin also mentions his leadership abilities and how he would set up his teammates for success. “We’re playing on the north half championship at Louisville again, and he before the game, you know, the coaches, the head coach wants to do a pregame speech and stuff and he’s like Coach, I got it. Let me talk to the team. And so we step out, go to the next room and we’re listening. And he pulls out a newspaper article from the first time they beat us” said Hardin

Coach Hardin knew from the start that Chris Jones was going to be a special player and go far in his career. “Yeah, you know just if he if he did the right things Yeah, do what he’s supposed to do. I mean, he was in high school 6’6 260 pounds could do a back handspring or six is just made the talent so athletic. Yeah, just you know to be a pro there’s a lot more things that go into it. You have to have the work ethic you got to have discipline the right mindset. I mean, you know, talent only gets you so far and he had it all” stated Hardin

Chris Jones is an all-around great player and an even greater person and hope to see him for a longer time in the NFL and hopefully, he can get himself that 4th ring and become greatness.