The online collaborative home for the print publications of Golden Wave Media.

THS Current

THS Current

THS Current

Spotlight on Madjazz: The School’s Dynamic Performers

Kara Graham
Hannah White (10) walks into the annual Singe Feaste. Over 300 people attended through both showings.

In the bustling hallways of Tupelo High School, a melody breaks through the chatter of students rushing to their next class. It’s the sound of MadJazz, the school’s dedicated jazz ensemble, warming up for their afternoon rehearsal. With instruments in hand and music in their hearts, these young musicians are not just playing notes; they’re weaving a tapestry of rhythm and soul that reverberates through the school’s walls. This is the story of MadJazz, a group that’s not only hitting the right notes in competitions across the region but also setting the tempo for how music can unite, inspire, and educate.

“Preparing for performance can be enjoyable but also hectic. You have to learn choreography, look happy, and sing the right notes. On top of this, you really can’t mess up. Nevertheless, I love preparing for a performance,” said 2-year member Hannah White. 

Preparing for a performance is a complex blend of excitement and challenge, a dance of meticulous preparation and spontaneous expression. It’s a world where one must master the steps of choreography, channel genuine joy, and hit every note with precision. Under the bright lights, there is no room for error, yet the pressure is part of the allure. It’s a demanding pursuit that demands resilience and a love for the craft. Despite the rigorous demands of rehearsals and the weight of expectation, the thrill of bringing art to life on stage makes the hectic journey worthwhile. For those who cherish the limelight, the path to a flawless performance is a labor of love, a testament to the dedication behind the curtains that the audience seldom sees but always feels.

“The most memorable moment for me was winning Gold over the weekend in Orlando. We all worked hard on trying our best to sound as great as possible. That moment stood out the most to me because it was an award that me and my younger classmates worked so hard towards,” added 3-year member Chloe Shaw. 

The shimmer of the gold medal from Orlando still reflects the collective effort and dedication of a determined group. It symbolizes more than just a victory; it represents a journey of countless rehearsals where each note was fine-tuned and every harmony was perfected. This memorable moment is etched in the heart of the speaker, as it stands as a testament to the hard work and unity shared among classmates, both young and seasoned. Winning gold was not just about the accolades but about the shared goal that they strived for together. It’s a story of triumph, not merely for the individual, but for the entire group whose relentless pursuit of excellence led to a crescendo of success that resonated far beyond the performance venue