The online collaborative home for the print publications of Golden Wave Media.

THS Current

THS Current

THS Current

Dual Dreams: How Kennedi Simmons Excels in Sports and Studies

Ashton McCoy
Kennedi Simmons waving,and Loren ZImmerman clapping during introductions.

In the hallways of Tupelo High School, amidst the sea of students, there is an unmistakable spark of determination that sets Kennedi Simmons apart. This 16-year-old isn’t just juggling textbooks and exams; she’s also excelling on the volleyball court with a grace and agility that has caught the eye of colleges and fans alike. Simmons’ leadership on and off the court tells a story of dedication, resilience, and the pursuit of excellence that defines what it means to be a student-athlete in today’s competitive environment.

“When I started volleyball I never really had the inspiration to play but because of my height, I wanted to play a sport so I chose volleyball. I always liked watching it before I started so when my school had tryouts I ran to the office and got myself a tryout waiver,” Simmons said.

Simmon’s drive to excel in volleyball stems from a pure love for the game itself, the adrenaline rush of hitting the ball, the support of her teammates, and the sheer joy of competition. Without a figure to emulate or a defining incident that set her on this path, Simmons’ motivation is as unique as her playing style.

Balancing academics and athletics is a daily challenge for student-athletes, one that requires meticulous time management and a strong sense of discipline. For Simmons, this balance is achieved through diligence during school hours.

“ A typical day for me is usually trying to do all my schoolwork during school hours and then do like all my homework during school hours. So when I get home, I can focus on sports. Most of my classes don’t give too much homework thankfully, so I just push myself to finish the things I do have,” Simmons said.

This strategy not only demonstrates her commitment to both her sport and her studies but also allows her to maintain her status as a student-athlete without compromising on the quality of her education or the intensity of her training.

As the sun sets on another day of training and academic pursuits, Kennedi Simmons’ thoughts often drift to her dream of playing at the collegiate level. While the dream is vivid and the path is challenging, Kennedi is fueled by an unwavering resolve to make it a reality.

She knows that every pass, every lap, and every late-night study session brings her one step closer to that goal. As she laces up her sneakers and hits the books once more, it’s clear that for Simmons’, the dream of her perfect college experience isn’t just a distant wish.

“I would love to play volleyball at LSU because I would love to be in Baton Rouge. I also really love the culture and the familiarity the school has because I love going to Louisiana so I believe that would definitely be the school for me,” Simmons said.