The online collaborative home for the print publications of Golden Wave Media.

THS Current

THS Current

THS Current

“Peeps and Feathers:The journey of Baby chicks”

Peeps and chirps fill the air as the newest batch of fluffy baby chickens begins their journey at Tupelo highschool, bringing a burst of life and questions about their care and growth.” 

Chemistry teacher Terasa Ware Adopted new baby chics at the start of this week. Students filled the room every morning just to come in there to pet and hold the baby chics. 

Many people are probably wondering what makes a science teacher want to get chickens , what do chickens have to do with anything, how are they helpful, and so many questions .

Amyah dancer asked ms. Ware the question “What made you want to get the chickens”? 

“Eight years ago I saw a unit on AP biology about development. The truth is we don’t do that unit anymore, But we still get chickens because it’s kind of a tradition . I bought it in Kabata with my school, raised funds , and put a whole bunch of eggs in there. Which involved about five years ago we started drilling little holes in the egg, and put food coloring in there. Some of them are pink, purple so that’s a lot of fun too.

Kids are not only learning about biology but there also learning about responsibility. But unfortunately the baby chics are only here for a little amount of time. 

“Every year we give them right back to Ms.Garner, who gives us the eggs to hatch , and she’s actually taking them home today, they started hatching last Monday. They stay in the classroom for about a week. If my student has a place for the chickens , they can take theirs home. This year Jasmine key actually took her two chics home.

Baby chickens are always a source of life by just looking at them.

Ms. ware also says that her students are very eager to get into the classroom . “They crowd around in my classroom and even get here early in the morning to just hold the baby chickens.” 

“For their brain break today since it is the last day with the chickens were going to

go outside and let the chickens run around.’

Baby chickens always remind us that with each new dawn, life begins anew.