Pre-reading assignments help students maintain fluency

Karlee Avery

Selections for required reading are available in the THS Media Center.

Karlee Avery, Business Manager, The Hi-Times

Karlee Avery

Required reading has been part of English classes at Tupelo High School for more than a decade. The Hi-Times asked April Friar, chairman of the English Department, about the need for pre-reading assignments and their benefits.

Q: How long has THS had required pre-reading assignments for English?

A: Prior to my arrival in 2003, the English Department had required summer/winter reading. Oftentimes, reading lists are associated only with English classes; however, other disciplines, particularly the History Department, too did require incoming reading assignments.

Q: Why do we have pre-reading assignments?

A: There is no one specific reason for pre-reading assignments. Summer/Winter assignments help students to maintain reading fluency, which is based on the principle “use it or lose it.” Research consistently highlights the loss of learning of students who are not engaged during school breaks. A study conducted by John Hopkins suggests that students from low-income families “lost more than two months of reading achievement” during summer break. Subsequently, teachers spend too much time at the beginning of each school year or semester re-teaching. Because reading and writing are inseparable, pre-reading assignments may serve as a vehicle to improve student writing. Summer/Winter assignments also help students to sustain and to advance their vocabulary. Unfortunately, not all students experience other destinations during summer and winter breaks. Reading in itself is an exploration and allows students to journey along with characters. Of course, one goal of pre-reading assignments is to cultivate a commitment to reading.

Q: How are books chosen?

A: The books are selected thoughtfully–with regards to accessibility, cost and content–by the English Department faculty.

Q: How often do they change?

A: There have been changes in recent years. For the most part, the changes are minute, consisting of a rotation of texts.

Q: Do you have a personal favorite from the list?

A: My preference changes, but I do enjoy and respect each of the selections.