Hi-Times named state’s best high school newspaper

From Staff Reports, The Hi-Times

Tupelo High School’s student newspaper was named the state’s Best High School Newspaper on April 1 at the Mississippi Scholastic Press Association’s high school journalism convention. The Hi-Times previously was the state’s top school newspaper in 2014.

This year, 522 student journalists attended MSPA, the largest gathering of high school journalists in the state.

“Student media becomes a bigger part of the school climate every year,” MSPA Director R.J. Morgan said in a news release. “This year we saw record numbers competing in broadcast and social media categories, so I think that says a lot about where the technology is headed. But even on the print side, we get new programs starting up and competing every year. These students and their advisers are really doing some amazing work.”

A total of 175 awards were earned by 34 schools at the convention.

Advised by Ginny Miller, The Hi-Times won 27 MSPA awards, including Best Newspaper, first places in news writing, feature writing, opinion writing, second places in sports writing and print design, and third places in online presence and social media use.

Individual awards went to Karlee Avery, who won first in sports features, first in depth reporting, and second in sports writing; Meredith Beasley, who won third in sports columns and third in sports features; Jeremy Hinds, second in news photos and third in feature photos; Nathan Jackson, second in opinion writing; Aaron Kwag, third in news writing; Shanna McCauley, first and third in editorial cartoons; Mary Catherine Miller, third in feature writing; Chris Patty, second and third in advertising design; Keywanna Rogers, third in sports writing; Chael Williams, first in feature writing and third in opinion writing; and Tayolor Witherspoon, first and second in personal/general columns.

Under the direction of T. Braden Bishop, WTHS won Best Broadcast News in the state, while The Album adviser Shari Chumley was recognized as the Caroline Fair Yearbook Adviser of the Year.

A complete list of winners is available at mississippischolasticpress.com.