Senior Memoir: Austin Nguyen

Austin Nguyen, Staff Writer, The Hi-Times

Coming up from middle school I did not know what to expect going into high school. Of course we all hear rumors and stories about high school, but truly not knowing what we are about to encounter can be scary.

The first day of high school approached and my sister made me a shirt that said “freshman” on it with a giant red target for all the seniors to attack. Because she made it for me, I wore it. Due to me being in band, I had to drop my instrument off, and in doing so some of the band students saw what I was wearing and laughed. One of them even approached me and told me I should not be wearing that shirt today, so he gave me a shirt to change into.

The band hall is the complete opposite of where the freshmen building is. I was able to sneak past the upperclassmen and sophomores before the seniors were done with their parade. A senior, my sister said she was going to attempt to find me with all of her friends and bombard me with water balloons and eggs. Thankfully I escaped into the safety of H building before she could find me.

High school honestly flies by as much as everyone says. You have to live high school, and life for that matter, with no regrets. There is more to life than high school. Make the most of it and have wonderful memories to go back over when you’re older and have children, so that you may lead them down the same path or a better one.

I also plan to make the most of college when I attend the University of Mississippi next year. I’ll be at the same school as my sister, once more as a freshman and her as a senior. Hopefully this time she won’t give me any “advice.”