THS Current

• February 20"Never give up, today is hard, tomorrow is worse, but the day after tomorrow will be sunshine." ~ Jack MA

• February 14Once you choose hope anything is possible. -anonymous

• February 4"Always concentrate on how far you have come, rather than how far you have left to go. The difference in how easy it seems will amaze you."-Heidi Johnson

Pulitzer Prize winning Author Rick Bragg visits Tupelo High School as part of the Tupelo Reads Program

The+Tupelo+Reads+program+brought+Pulitzer+Prize+wining+author+Rick+Bragg+to+Tupelo+High+School.++Bragg%27s+book+%E2%80%9CThe+Best+Cook+in+the+World%3A+Tales+from+my+Momma%E2%80%99s+Table%E2%80%9D+was+chosen+as+the+2018+Tupelo+Reads+book.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

The Tupelo Reads program brought Pulitzer Prize wining author Rick Bragg to Tupelo High School.  Bragg's book “The Best Cook in the World: Tales from my Momma’s Table” was chosen as the 2018 Tupelo Reads book.

The Tupelo Reads program brought Pulitzer Prize wining author Rick Bragg to Tupelo High School. Bragg's book “The Best Cook in the World: Tales from my Momma’s Table” was chosen as the 2018 Tupelo Reads book.

Nastassjia Walker

Nastassjia Walker

Nastassjia Walker

What happened: Pulitzer Prize winning author, Rick Bragg, came to talk to THS students facilitated by the Tupelo Reads Program.

Key Player: Bragg, who is from Alabama, came to pay a local visit to share his life and books. His latest book “The Best Cook in the World: Tales from my Momma’s Table” was chosen as the 2018 Tupelo Reads Book. Bragg won a Pulitzer Prize for his work as a New York Times reporter in the 1990s.  

Notable Quotes:

“This is a place where grandmothers hold babies on their laps under the stars and whisper in their ears that the lights in the sky are holes in the floor of heaven,” Bragg said.

Students that attended the assembly were amazed and entertained by him. Some even read his book.

“I enjoyed the assembly, I enjoyed the book and I thought it was impressive,” senior Shields Haire said.

“I loved the assembly, he’s an interesting guy and was good at telling stories,” said by senior Luke Overton said.

Key Moment:  As part of the Tupelo Reads Program, 3 art students were recognized for creating works of art relating to the theme of the book. First place went to Hannah Edwards. Second place to Mary Carson Kieffer. Third place to Summer Kirksey.  

Up Next: The book is available at local bookstores and libraries.  But be careful, it will make you hungry.

About the Photographer
Nastassjia Walker, Multi-Media ReportingStaff/Album Staff/ Editorial Board

I’ll just keep it simple, my name is Nastassja Walker, but I go by Peaches

I’m 17 years young and 4'9, so probably I’m the height of your 7 year...

1 Comment

One Response to “Pulitzer Prize winning Author Rick Bragg visits Tupelo High School as part of the Tupelo Reads Program”

1. Jamia Ford on February 1st, 2019 8:17 am

good job peaches you did good

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

The online collaborative home of The Hi-Times, WTHS and The Album