The online collaborative home for the print publications of Golden Wave Media.

THS Current

THS Current

THS Current

THS changes old cafeteria system

Ashton McCoy
The cafeteria line at Tupelo High School where students have a variety of selections to choose from

Through the school’s history one of the few constants at THS has been the school lunches served in the cafeteria, but this year significant changes have been made to the quality of the food and the amount of options available to students.

“The kids are able to pick up unlimited fruits and vegetables. We have a piece of land every day of real life, which includes hamburgers, chicken sandwiches. We have a sono line, which is our Latin line, where we serve nachos, chicken nachos. And then we have a what we call a Create line and on the go line, and I create line, it’s kind of like a homestyle meals, like meatloaf, playing potatoes and gravy. And then our crate meals are like the chicken wraps. Italian BLT just different stuff like it that kids can weigh up on.” Cafeteria Manager Nikki Bilger said.

Over the summer Tupelo administration made it a priority to change the school’s lunches for the better after the Tupelo community voiced its want for better lunches in its school cafeterias

“That was one of the needs that the community and the student body had given us. So our district went back to the table, and we are providing an outstanding deli-style lunch with lots of options.” Principal Mellisa Thomas said.

One of the things that made a change to the school lunches possible was a partnership with Chartwells Dining Services, a food management company that works within schools. Partnering with Chartwells allows for the cafeteria to run more efficiently, and allows the cafeteria to function properly with multiple stations.

“Now that we are run by a food management company, we are able to offer more choices,” Bilger said.

Chartwells itself is partnered with the entire district, meaning many of the changes to the THS cafeteria also apply to other schools in the Tupelo Public School District.

“Our goal every day is to make sure that students leave the cafeteria happier and healthier than when they came in.” From Chartwells Official website.