The online collaborative home for the print publications of Golden Wave Media.

THS Current

THS Current

THS Current

Attend to Win is in!

THS is introducing new incentives for attendance in the months of October and November. If students come to school every day, they will be entered to win prizes. The idea was formed and set into motion by principal Melissa Thomas, and is supported by all the staff.

“Everybody’s behind it because we all want you to be here as much as possible,” Christy
Weir said.

The staff hopes to get students in the habit showing up with prizes. The prizes consist of hoodies, T-shirts, water bottles, backpacks, sports passes, gift cards, and pick-and-paint parking spaces.

“Dr. Thomas is really excited about giving prizes and making it fun,” Weir said.

Attendance is a problem that everyone can face, from adults in the real world to students in school. Students not showing up for school not only creates problems for themselves, but also for the ones attempting to teach them.

“If you’re not here you can’t learn, and that just snowballs into all kinds of struggles.” Weir said. 

Improving attendance not only helps students, but it helps faculty and staff. The school gets funding from attendance, and that funding can be used for giveaways like this one if students show up.

“We’re trying to get the students here for our funding, but it’s also a reminder for our students to come to school. Attendance is the number one reason kids do not walk across the stage,” assistant principal Lucas Smith said.

Students that come to school often are enthusiastic about the chance of winning a prize just for coming to school.

“I rarely miss a day, so I’d like to win something,” Senior Joshua Delacoudray said.

Many students are excited about prizes. The thought of painting a parking spot is highly sought after among students. Not only do you have a guaranteed parking spot, but it’s tailor made for you.

“Painting a parking spot is cool because you get to express yourself,” sophomore Jessica Ni said.

Some students aren’t fazed by all of the prizes, but come to school for their own benefit for their education.

“I’m coming to school because I feel my education is the most important thing in my life,” junior Jaylene Frias Cruz said.

Whether the students are getting prizes or not, attendance is vital to their education. Not only do teachers benefit from their students showing up to class, but the students themselves can learn and do better in school overall.

“You’re going to be successful. You just gotta allow the process to work,” Smith said.