THS Current

• February 20"Never give up, today is hard, tomorrow is worse, but the day after tomorrow will be sunshine." ~ Jack MA

• February 14Once you choose hope anything is possible. -anonymous

• February 4"Always concentrate on how far you have come, rather than how far you have left to go. The difference in how easy it seems will amaze you."-Heidi Johnson

Filed under Showcase, Sports

Coaches and Students talk Super Bowl LIII

Tupelo students and coaches gear up for Super Bowl LIII.

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Los Angeles Rams and the New England Patriots are set to compete in Super Bowl LIII on Sunday, February 3, 2019.

Football has been the most popular sport in America since 1972, so it’s no surprise that when possibly the biggest game of year roles into town, fans everywhere have something to say about the Super Bowl.

The Super Bowl is a form of competitive sports entertainment, but could it not be used by high school coaches to find out new and interesting ways to coach their athletes?

At Tupelo High School, people are talking about Super Bowl 53. Coach Dillon Mitchell is a football coach and social studies teacher.  Coach Mitchell said he watched the superbowl for both entertainment and to learn how to play his sport better.

“I think it’s a great opportunity to talk about adversity to overcome hardships throughout the season and get to the pinnacle of your sport,” Mitchell said.

The coach does not even worry to much about who wins, he claims that he “just wants to see a good competitive game.”

Zack Brownlee, a sophomore football player and  fan of the Super Bowl, was very clear on who he wanted to win simply stating “Rams.” 

Brownlee also believes that that the super bowl is “overrated,” but did not offer a reason as to why he believes it to be. Mitchell does not think it is either overrated or underrated.

Brownlee and Mitchell also don’t agree on who they think is going to win the super bowl. Brownlee believes the Los Angeles Rams will be the champions, while Mitchell thinks that the New England Patriots are going to win for their 6th time.

The Patriots have been to the Super Bowl 10 different times, winning 5 of them, while the Rams have only been 3 times, and only won 1 of them. However, the Rams have had an impressive season of 13 wins and only 3 losses, while the Patriots only have 11 wins and 5 losses this season.

In the end, it doesn’t matter who has won more games and who has lost more. All that matters is which team plays better come Sunday, February 3.

About the Writer
Marcus Little, Multimedia Staff Member

I can’t imagine anyone would ever read this, but I’ll write something for the people who do. Until 2018, I’ve never been taller than anyone, except...

1 Comment

One Response to “Coaches and Students talk Super Bowl LIII”

1. Jamia Ford on February 4th, 2019 7:59 am

good job

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Coaches and Students talk Super Bowl LIII

WTHS

WTHS – March 8, 2019

Video

WTHS – February 15, 2019

Teacher Spotlights 🔦

Kathy Anderson/ Teacher spotlight

Teacher Spotlights 🔦

TEACHER 🔦 SPOT LIGHT : Justin Loden

Teacher Spotlights 🔦

Teacher Spotlight🔦: Elizabeth Autry

Teacher Spotlights 🔦

Teacher Spotlight: Johnathan Begnaud

Features

Club Spotlight 🔦: Educators Risings

Club Spotlights 🔦

Club Spotlight🔦: AP Science Club

Club Spotlights 🔦

Club Spotlight 🔦: Spanish Club

Club Spotlights 🔦

Club Spotlight: FCCLA Culinary Arts

The online collaborative home of The Hi-Times, WTHS and The Album