The online collaborative home for the print publications of Golden Wave Media.

THS Current

THS Current

THS Current

THS’s FEA Club: Building Tomorrow’s Educators Through Service and Recognition

Graphic by Jaylene Cruz

Future Educators of America [FEA] is a club for 10th to 12th-grade students interested in a career in education. The club’s mission is to inspire these students and provide them with opportunities to explore the teaching profession.

FEA offers a lineup of meaningful activities for its members. These range from volunteering with the Special Olympics, shadowing a teacher for a day, and supporting the ‘Sweet Treats for Teachers’ initiative.

One activity is the Special Olympics. Last year, THS held its first Special Olympics event since the onset of COVID-19, providing an opportunity for FEA club members to volunteer and help out.

FEA club advisor Jodie Osbrin believes that the Special Olympics was a success because it allowed the event’s athletes to feel special for a day and allowed the FEA students to be involved.

With the success of this year’s event, FEA students eagerly look forward to contributing to the Special Olympics in the years to come.

FEA members also gain hands-on experience in the classroom. For instance, shadowing a teacher, students take on the role of an assistant teacher, catering to the needs of the classroom and students. This experience provides valuable information and practical insights for those considering a future teaching career.

One way FEA members show their appreciation is through the variety of treats they bring and the time they spend volunteering for ‘Sweet Treats for Teachers’ which shows gratitude for the hard work of THS teachers.

‘When FEA brings in treats for ‘sweet treats for teachers,’ it makes us feel appreciated, and that the students recognize all the hard work we put in,” Osbirn said,

Teachers gather during their planning period to enjoy the thoughtful gifts of homemade or store-bought cookies, brownies, cakes, cupcakes, and more.

One of the highlights is the chance to nominate a deserving teacher for the ‘Extra Mile Awards’.

The ‘Extra Mile Award’ is a special experience where FEA members join together to nominate one of THS teachers to win the award.

“When kids have to pick a teacher they choose one they believe has gone the ‘extra mile’ in ensuring their student’s success and wellbeing,” FEA club advisor Kelly Marlin said.