The online collaborative home for the print publications of Golden Wave Media.

THS Current

THS Current

THS Current

Students around THS pursuing a hobby: Rapping

At Tupelo High School, many talented students found a new hobby just hanging around. These boys explain how they started with rapping. Jay Crump, a student at Tupelo High School, didn’t find rap; it found him on a day boredom struck. Now, his beats and rhymes are more than just random lyrics —they’re a statement he’s trying to make.

“It started when I  got bored one day. And that’s when I used to be looking for beats. And then when I realized I knew what I was doing, so I tapped into it,” Crump expressed. 

While rap is a powerful form of self-expression for many students at Tupelo High, it’s the personal journey of Jay Crump that sums up this musical movement.

“When I’m recording the music, I think about the aftermath of me making it.  I like to get money. So I rap about getting money, and I hope to influence others to get money.” Crump thinks ahead about his song’s impact, aiming to inspire others with his focus on success. However, Jay isn’t the only student trying hand.

Bando, another Tupelo High rapper, shares his own take on the music scene. Bando, whose love for music started at a young age, reflects on his journey to becoming a rapper. “When I was little, I used to listen to a lot of different types of music and it just became a dream to rap once I got older.”

As Bando’s words echo through the speakers, it’s clear that his message isn’t just for show—it’s a call to action that resonates with his listeners. 

“Seeing my lyrics be inspirational makes people feel em, that brings the supporters in. I love when I get feedback from everyone, let me know what I can work on.” Brando said.